Jennifer W: My Best Day in Education
It is difficult to pinpoint one particular day as my best day in education. Teaching is a difficult and stressful job and after five years, I still question whether it is the right career for me. However, from time to time something rewarding will occur that makes the job feel worthwhile.
The day that stands out to me at the moment is science night at my school. I am the science teacher at an elementary school, teaching grades 1-5. Each year, I assign a big project to my 5th grade students. It is basically the classic science fair project,with students designing a science experiment using the scientific method. Training them in using the scientific method and helping them to design an experiment that fits the parameters of the project can be very challenging and stressful. However, when science night comes around and all of my 5th graders have their projects on display, I am always impressed by the level of creativity and learning that comes from these projects. I also feel rewarded when parents come to science night and tell me how much their students have learned in science and how interested they are in what we are learning. This is not true for all students but it feels reassuring to know that I am able to inspire at least a few.
The keys to being a great science teacher: https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2016/10/26/the-key-to-good-science-teaching.html

No comments:
Post a Comment