I don't typically view teaching days in extremes such as "the best." However, I have have had many experiences that certainly would fall into the category of "one of the best." This is one of those experiences.
On this day, I received a letter in my box at school as any teacher does. This one however was in a small envelope, hand addressed, with a return address in Oklahoma. Inside was a handwritten letter from a grandparent of a former student. She thanked me for my efforts working with her grandson and for the recommendation I had written for him to attend a magnet school five years earlier. He had just been accepted to Oklahoma State University with a full scholarship.
Teaching at the junior high level, teachers often hear from students and their successes, in their early years of high school. However, to realize that we had a direct influence on college admissions is a much rarer occurrence. This makes it "one of the best."

No comments:
Post a Comment