Monday, June 10, 2019

My Best Day!

My Best Day!

     As a teacher, I know that I follow the district curriculum, have good classroom management, and teach content to my students.  But I've always questioned if I make a difference in my students' lives.  This question was answered 3 years ago when I was invited by 2 of my students to the Academic Excellence Banquet.
     The district has this banquet each year for the top 10% of the seniors in the school.  Each student gets to invite a person who they feel has been their most influential educator throughout their educational career.  The banquet is held at the White Eagle Country Club in Naperville, IL.  During the banquet, each student is announced, along with their high school accomplishments.  They stand on stage along with their influential educator while their achievements are read, and then an administrator reads a short essay that the student has written about their influential educator.
     The two students who invited me were students that I had first taught in 8th grade, and had them again in class when I moved to the high school.  Both were outstanding students, and both chose to serve as my student aides during their senior year.  I knew that they enjoyed having me as a teacher, but it wasn't until the banquet that I truly understood that I had influenced their future.  Both students had decided to major in Math education in college, and both named me as a huge part of their decision.  The saw that I enjoyed my job, saw that I had impacted students, and were so inspired that they wanted to do the same in their futures.  To hear the words that they had each written about me was so special, and I was truly honored.  The experience made me see that I was making a difference in kids lives, and that students were not only learning math from  me, but being inspired.  I will never forget the experience, and anytime I am having a rough day, I remember these students, and try to make a difference every day.



                                                                                Chris K.

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment