🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶
As an Educator, there are many great days in the classroom. But, I believe that I have taken far too many of them for granted. Concerts are a large part of a Music Educators job, but often are days filled with stress. There are months of preparations and added anxiety before a performance. Therefore, I have tended to overlook the good leading up to those concerts, including the day of the concert with dress rehearsals and performing live in front of an audience. It was all too stressful.
This year, that completely changed. I changed.
Last year, we were not able to have our end of the year concerts due to the shutdown. Therefore, our 5th grade Band students never were able to have their first concert. This year, as 6th graders, they were too large to safely fit in my classroom, so they were divided into two separate Bands. Instead of having five days of rehearsal each week, each group only got two. Add to that fact that they had to where special face masks for band and put bell covers on their instruments.
The first time they played together as one Band was on December 3 for a virtual concert. They had to be spread apart for the rehearsal and then on stage spaced apart for the recording. Too be honest, they did not sound all that great, but they got to play together!!! That was all that mattered to me. There first sounds together brought me to tears. I was so excited for them. FOR THEM!!!
He approved it!
We were able to play as one Band rehearsing every day from March 29 through the end of the year. We were also able to perform in front of an audience on April 27 at Johnny Carson Theater. All of these days were great days for me in education. But, my students getting to perform in front of their families the night of April 27 is probably one of the most important ones for me as an educator. It was no longer about my stress, but what my students needed most of all. Performers need to perform for people they care about. And, as a performer, I needed more than I ever knew.
