One of the best days in education that I have ever had was when I was able to be a key contributor and link to watching a student find success. This student had shut down and was not connecting with anyone in the building. I decided to take a chance and extend a calm voice/hand and try to get to the root of the problem. The student indicated that he hadn't had a father in his life and was at home with his little brother and sister at night while his mom worked. He did not have the energy or ability to focus when he was at school because he was not getting much sleep and was terrified of what would happen to his siblings if something happened to him or his mom. Can you imagine coming to school with that type of pressure and stress? No student can learn under those conditions, but what he needed was someone to listen and hear him out that he can trust. We cried a little together, and I promised him that he had someone in the building that would do what it took to help him get through this and find his way to success in school. This day will always be sentimental to me and will always remind me why I got into education and how important we are to students.
No comments:
Post a Comment