Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Best Day in Education

 

 First, before I tell you what my best day in education was, I have to tell you what my job is. I am a sign language interpreter for a student in special needs high school classroom.   I have been with this student for the last 11 years. My student is deaf and has cognitive delays. She reads on a 3rd to 4th-grade level and her math skills are about 2-3rd grade level. Since I have been with her, I have seen strides with her that have taken 2 years to accomplish.  For example, it took her a year working with a physical therapist, to learn how to tie her shoes. 
  When she started high school, one of her math goals was to learn the dollar-up method.   This goal started in 9th grade. We worked on it daily, just 3 or 4 problems a day. But first, she needed to learn how to count better. She could count to 10 just fine, but when it got to higher numbers, she was lost. So came out the counting charts, games and etc.  We proceed to continue to work on counting and the dollar-up method.     
    I am not just an interpreter, I am also her aide, companion, and many other titles. So I would help with the counting and dollar-up method whenever we had extra time. I also have to break down these assignments for her.  For example, she can't just add 5+8=. She needs visual, prompting and signing to get her to work. 
    This year was her senior year and she shocked the hell out of us.   One day, we were doing the dollar-up method. She said the amount that was needed, counted the correct 1 dollar bills and it was correct!   So we thought ok, she got 1 right.  Ok, we thought that was progress but she kept getting them right!!!  I can't describe the feeling I had seen that!  After 3 years of working on this, it finally made a connection!! I was so proud of her.  Most people don't see the challenges she has overcome. I see the little things that may not be a big deal to others but it's a big deal for her. 
    I have a rewarding job and I feel like I had something to do with her success. It may take her a long time to learn something, but when she gets it, it's an awesome feeling!
    


No comments:

Post a Comment