Monday, June 19, 2023

Best Day in Education

 


I have had many great days in my seven years of teaching business education, but most recently, one day particularly stood out to me this past 2022-2023 school year. In my Accounting class, I try to incorporate a variety of group projects to encourage teamwork and collaboration as the initial misconception of working in accounting is working independently and behind an office desk. According to indeed.com, key soft skills in a career in accounting include teamwork, attention to detail, and verbal communication.  One group project required students to choose one of the five assigned accounting roles within a company such as junior accountant, controller, accounting manager, or CFO. Students were then given tasks for their assigned role and had to communicate their tasks and results in a “finance board meeting.” The meeting required students to sit around a table in the classroom and act out a meeting about the company’s finances. All 5 groups within my period 3 Accounting class knocked this assignment out of the park! Every student was engaged in the project and delivered an exceptional verbal analysis of the company’s financial position. Students went above and beyond the requirements of the project as they not only offered the results of their tasks but also had a back-and-forth dialogue to truly simulate a meeting. I was so happy that students enjoyed this assignment and the feedback I received from students is that this project made them understand the concepts so much more.


Katelyn S.

No comments:

Post a Comment