During the 2018/2019 school year, I probably had one of the toughest times as a middle school teacher. A female middle school student of mine committed suicide on a Tuesday evening. I received a phone call from our building administrator around 10pm that evening. I was devastated. No college course or program can prepare you to come up with a plan to go into school the very next day and address the other 31 students in your class. This girl and her best friend sat front and center in the classroom. This was the hardest day in education. The best friend was having a very difficult time with the grieving process and students who were having a difficult time could go down to the guidance office where there were several additional supports for our student body. The best friend of this girl was not the easiest student to handle sometimes. Honestly, she's probably one of the most difficult students to have in class due to poor behavior.
Students like this best friend with behavioral issues are the students that I enjoy teaching, not just the subject matter, but life skills. After this devastating situation took place last year. This student did not want to talk with the guidance counselors or the extra supports our district hired to help cope with the loss. She told my principal that she just wanted to talk with me. She said she wanted to talk to me because I was the only teacher who really listened to her. This girl does not have a great home life, like others in our building. I have to say that this is an example of why I'm a teacher. Knowing I had a positive impact through a very difficult time for this girl was my best day in education.
No comments:
Post a Comment