Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Best Day Ever!

My best day ever in education...

    One of the best days I ever had was when my students had a fermented food fair! The assignment was to create a tri-fold covering a specific fermented food. How was the food made? What type of fermentation? What is the recipe? They also had to include images.  The students then actually made the food and brought them in for all of us to try.
    We had everything from homemade fermented ketchup (which was amazing!) to beer bread. One student even made a specific kind of creme brulee.  He used one with sour creme (which is fermented milk) so that it would "count" as fermented AND so he could bring me my favorite dessert! I got special permission for him to bring a small torch to carmelize the sugar on top just before we ate it.  It was so delicious. I found a similar recipe to the one he used here.
    It was such a lovely day filled with exploring different cultures, as well as building relationships- student to student and between myself and the students.  We all tried new things and learned so much in the process.  The only negative was that a few of us needed some Tums at the end of the day due to too much acidic food! :)

I hope others try a food fair or something similar with students. And if you do don't forget the Tums!

Desire K.


No comments:

Post a Comment