Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The BEST Day in Education!

       I have been teaching for two years, and I am about to start my third. I work with 6th-8th graders at Horizon Community Middle School. I feel fortunate that I get to teach broadcast journalism, which was my career prior to becoming an educator. I have large class sizes, limited computers, and not a lot of cameras, so it's been quite a challenge. For me, the best days are when students work together using what is available to create an outstanding product. 
    I have my 7th grade students create a silent film every semester. I showed the group an example from my 8th graders who ended up placing at the state TSA competition with their video. I have a group of boys who are usually the group who are always off task and not very interested in the work. Once they were given the instructions for this assignment and were set off on their own, I was so proud to see them take ownership in their learning. The group had worked together to come up with some fascinating ideas. They took turns working on their storyboard and figuring out who was going to work in each role that was required for the project. The boys went out into the hall, and I received feedback about them that they were working well together and on task the entire time. This made me so proud since normally I'm getting calls about my students being off task and disruptive. 
    Once the group turned in their final product, I was so impressed. They put together an incredible video that went above and beyond the project description. They were so proud, and they had huge smiles on their faces. To see them take pride in their work, get compliments, and stay on task was one of the highlights throughout my first few years of teaching.

Megan S.

No comments:

Post a Comment