Like many teachers, I am not in education for “the income but the outcome”. Over the course of my 10 years of teaching, before my hiatus, I was a classroom teacher, a substitute teacher (both long and short term), and a private tutor. The best days of working in education are when a student has their “light bulb moment”. That single moment when you see a student's eyes light up, they sit a little straighter and their face clearly says "I GET IT!" William Gronseth (2012) agrees with the description in that moment you know a students is saying "I get it!"
This could be as simple as getting an answer correct when they are feeling very unsure. Some students just need to see they can do something before they feel the confidence to move further in a topic. These little victories are what help drive me while I'm teaching. I want every student to have that feeling at least once while they are in my care (classroom or not).
The “light bulb” could also be hearing from a former student’s parent. You hear they are doing so well in school and they still refer to lessons you did with them as they move through new grades. Being able to draw on former knowledge to help create new paths, isn't that what education is all about? Without the “light bulbs”, I would struggle to find the best days in education because it would be hard to see them. Without the light to brighten our way, it makes the darkness harder to see in.
Jessica B.
No comments:
Post a Comment