“A good first impression can work wonders.” J.K. Rowling
One of my favorite days of the school year is the first. On the first day of school, there is a feeling in the air that is unmatched by any day that follows; everyone is hopeful of what the year will bring. For some students, the first day brings the excitement of returning to a place they love and enjoy. They look forward to diving into learning, reuniting with friends, and getting to know new teachers. For others, the anticipation may not be as positive. They may be hesitant to come back, nervous about being unsuccessful, and may dread meeting a teacher who may make their year uncomfortable.
Relationships and a positive classroom environment are two of the most important building blocks for a successful school year. On the first day, I get to show my students that they are all welcome. I work hard on that first day to make sure everyone knows they get a fresh start. I always acknowledge the nerves that often come with the first day by reading aloud First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. On the first day, I get to share about how I am feeling to hopefully encourage students to do the same in the future. I get to tell about my family and interests to show that those parts of life are important in our classroom, too.
My favorite parts of the first day include the moments that I get to start to learn about the individuals who will become so close over the next few months. I can find out if there are likely soccer games and dance recitals in my future. I can learn about who loves to draw and who may need more encouragement to build relationships. It is a day I consider to be my best day in education because it is when I get to set the foundation for all of those important moments, big and small, throughout the year.
Leslie K.

No comments:
Post a Comment