Tuesday, May 10, 2022
My best day in education actually began in a not so great way. It was a really rough day in terms of the weather. It was forecasted to rain very hard and for a long time and there were many flood warnings being issued. We were in school and many area counties were dismissing students early, however, we were not one of those counties. Our school district decided to stay the course and dismiss at the normal time. Unfortunately, this would come to be a huge mistake.
By the time school was dismissed, our entire school was surrounded in water. Parents and buses could not drive through the water to get to the school, as a result, we could not get the students home safely. All staff members assisted in calming the students, managing the large number of students in the cafeteria, gym, and library, as well as answering frantic calls from parents. Students and staff were visibly anxious and worried. I ended up with the role of escorting students one-by-one, as they were called on a walkie, to police and fire crews who had arrived to help students and parents through the water safely.
As I was assisting, I noticed that students were comforting each other with kind words of encouragement, sharing their cell phones so that other students could call their parents, and offering to help in any way they could. You see, we often assume that kids are too young to handle big things, and this day was special to me because I saw kids stepping up in an emergency situation to be helpful and empathetic of others. I saw gifts and talents in students that I had not seen in the classroom before. This was impressive and reassuring to me. When I was finally able to leave school at the end of a very long day, I was comforted with the thought that this young generation will go into the world with the ability to have compassion for others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment