I have had many amazing days in education. As a Spanish teacher, these often come when I am able to witness a true love of the language and culture from a student. I have had the privilege to take students on trips to Spain, Italy and Peru. As a high school student, a trip to Spain ignited my deep love for the Spanish language and culture. There was no turning back!
My most recent best day was taking a group of students to Peru this past summer. The most remarkable days on the trip involved going to Machu Picchu, dancing and shopping in a local market, and exploring and staying in the Amazon rainforest for two nights. The looks on student faces- pure magic. The connections made as they excitedly remembered words, such as "chifa" from a book we had read and then saw the large signs reading "chifa" all around Lima- priceless. The love of the culture that formed and their earnest attempts at using only Spanish- sheer joy. Their experience with a shaman to give and receive blessings from Mother Earth- unforgettable.
I am proud to say that they caught that same travel bug that I did so many years ago, sparked by a love of another culture and language. I can't wait to see what they do with it all.



No comments:
Post a Comment