During the first quarter of each school year, I teach sixth-grade students about digital citizenship. Lessons focus on how to be safe online, cyberbullying, scams and schemes, social media, copyright, and rights as a creator. A major focus is online bullying because today's student is going to post content online for everyone to see. If my guess is right, a lot of students are wanting to be a YouTuber because they see other kids and families doing it. What kids don't realize is how bad it can get when the bullying starts.
Online bullying is a big problem. Kids know that YouTube videos get all kinds of negative comments from anonymous users. Sadly, as the years go on they get desensitized to the comments and take them as a normal part of what happens online. I ask if those comments bother them when they are read and the students respond that the comments have little or no effect on them.
One year I made a bigger deal out of bullying than another because, for whatever reason, I felt I needed to make an impression. I recall telling the class that they should tell an adult and emphasized myself as an adult in which they could confide. I've never had a student come and tell me they were getting bullied online. That changed. After sitting down and turning on my laptop I opened my email. A student had emailed me that she was getting bullied. I was stunned but quickly responded to the student so I could help.
I was thankful to be there for a student who needed help.
Scott K

No comments:
Post a Comment